Tent & Amplified Sound Guidelines

Tent Site Locations

Tent site locations are limited by available space, campus construction and availability for specific events.  Tents request are allocated on a first come first serve basis, with priority going to University sponsored and funded events.

Please check with Mike Hood @ 334-703-0615 for more information.

Rules & Regulations

University Tent regulations, requirements, and restrictions are as follows.

  • Any conditions that are inconsistent with the permit and any hazards identified must be immediately corrected, or the permit will be revoked and the temporary tent removed.
  • Tents must be certified NFPA 701 for flame resistance (must be labeled) or equivalent approval.
  • At least 1 five-pound all-purpose fire extinguisher (ABC) must be provided.
  • When the side flaps of tents are utilized and the occupant load is 50 or more, two exits must be provided.
  • There must be at least 12 feet of clear and unobstructed space between the stake line of adjoining tents.
  • No open flames (BBQs) are allowed under tents, near trees or buildings. See Food Warming and Cooking Guidelines.
  • Trash and recyclables must be disposed of in proper receptacles, groups are responsible for returning the area back to its original state before departing campus.
  • Only small signage identifying the location is allowed.
  • Amplified sound must be pre-approved.
  • Profanity, intoxication, aggressive behavior and unsportsmanlike conduct may be grounds for revocation of tailgate privileges.

Cooking Guidelines

The use of open flame devices are subject to the AU Risk Management Fire Safety Department’s approval. Therefore, these guidelines may be increased or the use be prohibited if AU Risk Management Fire Safety Staff determines that there is a need for increased safety.

  • Only utilize warmer or cook top equipment that has been certified by Underwriters Laboratory.
  • Ensure that an attendant will remain in close proximity until any sterno or butane is extinguished
  • Ensure that a fire extinguisher is located within fifteen (15) feet of the above activity and that the aforementioned attendant will be familiar with the location of the fire extinguisher and will be trained in its use.
  • All spare sterno and butane cartridges will be stored in a secure location at least ten (10) feet away from the tent in which the above activity will occur.
  • All buffet lines and/or food stations shall be at least ten (10) feet away from exits and two (2) feet away from the sides of the tent for sterno and four (4) feet away from the sides of the tent for butane powered cook tops.
  • Hot Coals from charcoal cookers must be disposed of properly before leaving the tailgate site.
  • Oils of any kind cannot be disposed of in an storm drain or sanitary sewer. Please repackage and remove from site.

AU Insurance Requirements

The contractor shall, at its own expense, procure and maintain insurance of the kinds and limits listed hereunder. Certificate(s) of insurance issued by the contractor’s insurance carrier shall be furnished to Auburn University before beginning work and shall name Auburn University as an Additional Insured on both the General Liability and Automobile Liability policies. If any subcontractor is used to fulfill this contract, they or the General Contractor on their behalf, shall carry the same coverages and limits of insurance outlined herein. It shall be the General Contractors responsibility to ensure compliance of this requirement.

Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Insurance

  1. Workers’ Compensation insurance shall be written in accordance with statutory coverage required by the State of Alabama. Alabama employers are subject to Workers’ Compensation Statutes if they employ five (5) or more employees. Part-time employees and officers of a corporation are considered employees. A self-insurer must provide a certificate issued by the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations stating the contractor is qualified to pay its worker’s compensation claims.
  2. Employer’s Liability Insurance shall be written with minimum limits of:
    • Bodily Injury by Accident – $1,000,000 each accident
    • Bodily Injury by Disease – $1,000,000 each employee

Commercial General Liability Insurance
Commercial General Liability Insurance shall be written on an occurrence form and shall provide at minimum the following limits:
Each Occurrence $1,000,000
General Aggregate $1,000,000
Products Completed Operations Aggregate $1,000,000
Personal & Advertising Injury $1,000,000
Contractual Liability Included

In Addition the:

  • Policy must cover all activities to be performed by the contractor.
  • Policy must not contain any exclusion for intentional acts performed by the contractor.
  • Policy must not contain any exclusion for abuse from sexual, emotional or physical actions.

Professional Liability
Policy must include coverage for Professional Liability if the contractor is performing a Professional Service for Auburn University. Professionals are bound by law to 1) perform the service for which they were hired, and 2) perform those services in accordance with the appropriate standards of conduct. Professional Liability Insurance will be required of, but not limited to, (a) physicians, (b) pharmacists (c) accountants, (d) architects, (e) engineers, (f) counselors, (g) attorneys, (h) veterinarians.

Minimum limits of insurance required are $1,000,000.

Liquor Liability
Policy must include coverage for Liquor Liability if the contractor is in the business of manufacturing, distributing, selling, serving or furnishing alcoholic beverages.
Minimum limits of insurance required are $1,000,000. Revised 2/05 Page 6 of 6

Commercial Automobile Liability Insurance
Commercial Automobile Liability Insurance shall be written to include coverage for bodily injury and property damage arising from ownership, maintenance or use of any and all owned, non-owned and/or hired automobile.

Minimum limit $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit.

Due to the nature of some projects, Auburn University reserves the right to require additional limits of liability coverage.

All insurance coverage shall be issued by an insurer licensed by the Insurance Commissioner to conduct business in the State of Alabama and have a minimum current A.M. Best rating of A.

Each policy shall be endorsed to provide that the policy not be canceled, non-renewed, changed or allowed to lapse for any reason without thirty (30) days of written notice to Auburn University. Insurance policies meeting the requirements stated above shall be maintained for the duration of the project. Renewal certificates shall be sent to Auburn University thirty (30) days prior to any expiration date of coverage.

Risk and Indemnification Agreement

It is understood that by conducting this outdoor entertainment event, the permit holder by submitting a request for a Permit for Amplified Sound/Special Outdoor Events agrees to accept full responsibility and assume all risks involved. You acknowledge, understand and appreciate that there are dangers, hazards and inherent risks to which I may be exposed, including the risk of serious physical injury, temporary or permanent disability, and death, as well as economic and property loss. The dangers, hazards and risks may arise from my own actions, inactions, or negligence as well as from the actions, inactions or negligence of others, or the condition of the premises.

By accepting a Permit for Amplified Sound/Special Outdoor Events, you hereby agree to abide by the requirements for receiving this permit. You agree to accept full responsibility and assume all risk associated with said event(s) to be held on said date(stated above) at Auburn University’s Campus. To the fullest extent permitted by law, the you shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Auburn University, its Board of Trustees, Faculty, Staff, and Agents from and against all claims, damages, losses and expenses, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees, arising out of, related to, or resulting from performance of services under this Permit for Amplified Sound/Special Outdoor Events, provided that such claim, damage, loss or expense is attributable to bodily injury, sickness, disease or death, or to injury to or destruction of tangible property, including loss of use resulting there from, and is caused in whole or in part by negligent acts or omissions of you, a Subcontractor, anyone directly or indirectly employed by them, or anyone for whose acts they may be liable, regardless of whether such claim, damage, loss or expense is caused in part, or is alleged but not legally established to have been caused in whole or in part by the negligence or other fault of a party indemnified hereunder.