Campus Mail Services ensures the speed and accuracy of daily mail delivery of USPS and campus mail. We assist departments in selecting cost effective delivery methods and provide timely notification of packages for faculty, staff and students.
Receiving Mail & Packages
For the safety and security of our students, mail and packages are not delivered directly to the residence halls. All deliveries are made to the Campus Mail Services Center then sorted and delivered to the residence hall mailroom by an Auburn University Mail Carrier.
Students residing on campus at one of the residence halls can receive letter mail and trackable inbound UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS items from their respective mail rooms. Mail is received from the United States Postal Service (USPS) once daily at 1:00 pm. Any packages that arrive after that time will be picked up for delivery the next business day.
- UPS, FedEx, and any other carriers deliver between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm daily. Carriers such as UPS and FedEx have no set time for delivery. Packages will be delivered to mailrooms only.
- Students will receive an email notification of their package(s) arrival. Every student will be required to show their student ID before packages will be released. Unclaimed packages will be returned after 14 days.
- Student letters are sorted and placed in mailboxes throughout the day. Please be patient as sorting mail takes time due to the quantity of mail received each day.
- Outgoing mail is accepted at each of the residence hall mailrooms and other locations on campus.
- Packages and/or mail of any kind should not be sent to you more than three days prior to your arrival on campus and no less than one week prior to your last residential day of the school year.
- DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL! If you choose to send cash, it will be at your own risk. Mail Services will not be responsible for cash sent through any delivery service.
- Perishable, medical, or refrigerated items should be clearly labeled.
- Students should use the address format below for all letters and packages. NO ABBREVIATIONS OR NICKNAMES. Not adhering to the format below can delay delivery or result in your package being returned to sender.
- Student Name: John Doe
- Dorm Name/Box: Little Hall Box 301
- Street # & Name: 304 Quad Drive
- Auburn, AL 36849 Auburn, AL 36849
Please be sure to use your correct mailing address on all packages. This will allow us to sort and deliver packages to the proper mailroom without delays.
Use the same address regardless of the carrier (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL). Mail and packages received with incomplete, incorrect, or no name will be returned to sender.
Please note Campus Mail Services is not responsible for packages not delivered in a timely manner. Please be aware of the hours of operations and that overnight and priority shipping does not guarantee that packages will be available for pickup at the times the carrier provided. If a package is needed immediately, alternative methods may need to be considered such as FedEx or UPS pickup.
Student Mailbox Key & Combination
- Each residential student is assigned a mailbox key or combination during move-in at the beginning of the fall semester by the residential assistant of their assigned hall. Any student that is not assigned a key during that time can go to their residential mailroom to be assigned one by the mail clerk.
- There will be a $25 charge for misplaced or stolen keys. NO EXCEPTIONS. Report a lost or stolen key immediately to the Mail Services manager or the residence hall mail clerk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Each residential student is assigned a mailbox key or combination during move-in at the beginning of the fall semester by the residential assistant of their assigned hall. Any student that is not assigned a key during that time can go to their residential mailroom to be assigned one by the mail clerk.
Temporary Mail Forwarding
If you need to forward on campus mail temporarily (i.e. summer semester) , please complete the ‘On Campus Student Mail Forwarding Address’ form. Your new on campus housing address will automatically update with your room assignment the semester you return to campus housing.
- Login to AU Access.
- From My Academics, click on the Student Menu icon.
- Click on the Personal Information tab.
- Click On Campus Student Mail Forwarding Address Form.
- Fill-out form and click Continue to submit form to Mail Services.
Permanent Mail Forwarding
If you need to permanently forward your on campus mail, please complete a change of address with the USPS: https://moversguide.usps.com/
A student ID is required before any package can be picked up. Unclaimed packages will be returned after 30 days.
Students receive an email notification of their package arrival. If a package is small enough to be placed in a mailbox, we will do so. Make sure to check your mailbox frequently. If there is a problem with a package that hasn’t been delivered, or is lost, please have the tracking number and carrier information available when asking for assistance.
Student letters are sorted and placed in mailboxes throughout the day. Please be patient as sorting mail takes time due to the quantity of mail received each day. Letters and packages must have the physical street address. Be sure to include the residence hall name, room number, and street address. Any mail that does not include this information will have delayed delivery.
Outgoing mail is accepted at each of the resident hall mailrooms and other locations on campus.
When shipping important items (checks, passports, credit cards, medicine, etc.) use some form of tracking such as certified, signature confirmation, or express.
Please use the registered name (government name) of the student when sending mail or packages. Please NO ABBREVIATIONS OR NICKNAMES. Neglecting to do so could result in your package being delayed or returned to sender.
Campus Mail Services provides delivery and pick-up services to over 220 mail stop locations across the AU campus each day. Most departments receive service twice a day.
As a courtesy to University faculty and staff, Campus Mail Services will pick-up any stamped personal mail from departments along with other mail that is picked up at a regular pick-up location. Personal mail must be sealed and have the correct postage affixed. Mail with incorrect postage will be returned by the USPS to the return address on the mail piece. All stamped mail should be kept separate from all other mail.
Personal mail cannot be billed to a departmental account, no exceptions.
Mail to be metered that appears to be personal will be held at Campus Mail Services and the appropriate dean, director, or department head will be notified for clarification.
Please notify Mail Services of any large shipment from your department a week before we pick up or prior delivering to Mail Services (this will allow us to guaranteed that we will have enough postage to cover your mailing).
Frequently Asked Questions
No. The University requires all faculty and staff to receive their personal mail at home or permanent address. Occasional correspondence from friends and colleagues is not considered personal mail.
As a courtesy to University faculty and staff, Campus Mail Service will pick-up any stamped personal mail from departments along with other mail that is picked up at a regular pick-up location. Personal Mail must be sealed and have the correct postage affixed. All stamped mail should be kept separate from all other mail. Personal mail cannot be billed to a departmental account; no exceptions.
All outgoing USPS Mail should be at Campus Mail Service no later than 2:45 PM in order for Mail Processing Clerks to have ample time to process your mail.
Permit #9 should be used when mailing items locally, i.e. Auburn area. Please ensure your local vendors are using Permit #9.
Permit #530 should be used when mailing items in Montgomery.
To ensure accurate and timely delivery of your pieces, we have developed the following address guidelines we hope you will find helpful:
Dr. John Doe
Department of Marketing
Lowder Business Building
Auburn, AL 36849 (optional for non-postal travel)
- All pieces should contain the recipient(s) name, the department the piece is being delivered to, and the building location. Please do not use jargon or abbreviations as some departments have the same abbreviations.
- Large mailings, to be distributed to campus via Auburn University Mail Services, must be sorted by department names.
- All departments with two or more pieces must be banded together. Some buildings house multiple departments and this will help indentify originating departments within those buildings.
- When packing campus mail, all mail should be in an envelope. If not contained within an envelope, it should be folded and tabbed with the information above printed clearly facing out.